Saturday, August 4, 2018

Forgiveness


This morning I received a message from a friend who wanted to let me know about something I had done that had hurt her. She was doing it for herself so she could clear the air and move on.

I definitely recalled the incident and understood completely how I might have hurt her family's feelings. Pretty long story, but I really didn't mean to... I was just being Carrie and jokingly said something without thinking of where she and her family were in their circumstances and how my words may have come across.

I apologized for hurting them and offered to drive over to her to hug her neck and try to make sure things are right. It wasn't possible this morning, but she assured me that she appreciated my apology and wants to visit some day in the (hopefully) near future. She also encouraged me to let it go and not to dwell on it because that's what she's doing.

Here's the dilemma...

How do I forgive myself? How do I let go when I've hurt someone's feelings? I've actually prayed all day long to be able to let it go... I've tried hard to think about how to give myself some grace and to forgive myself for screwing up...

And I'm having the hardest time.

Why is that?
How do you move on when you've made mistakes and hurt someone? How do you forgive yourself? What words do you tell yourself that help with the letting go?

One of the hardest theological concepts for me to grasp is GRACE.  I just don't GET it...

Share your wisdom.

Thanks... 
💕

(PS -- I don't want to get into the details of who I hurt or what the circumstances are (either in this conversation or privately)... For those of you who often want details from my vague stories, please just let it be vague this time. 😊)

No comments: