Thursday, July 24, 2008

To write or not to write?

Been wondering if I really want to write as a "profession" or not. I think there's a part of me that will always need to write, but I'm not so sure I want to feel the pressure of having to write under a deadline. Of course, I'm not to that point anyway.

I've written before about submitting manuscripts to a publisher and for the writer's retreat. I do that with a little trepidation each time, but I figure that if my manuscript is accepted, then I'll keep moving in that direction. And, so far, I think I'm being "told" to keep moving in that direction. :-o

My problem is that I have an illness called perfectionism. If I don't think it'll be perfect or that I'll become an immediate writing success (as in books -- not magazine articles), then I encounter major hesitation. Perfectionism is a terrible disease. As Anne Lamott says, "Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life."

I suppose I'll just keep at this blog thing -- It can't hurt. It may even help. And, it gives me permission to write all kinds of stuff while I get ready to write the "professional" stuff.

No comments: