Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Here's the latest

  • Sarah had an appendectomy on Wednesday, the 27th at 10 p.m. What we thought was a stomach bug, turned out to be a ruptured appendix.  I don't totally understand it, but the appendix ruptured and it formed an abscess on her appendix before it leaked all over the place. Some of you medical people might know what I'm talkin' about...
  • On Friday night, Harv called me at the hospital to tell me that Hannah was taking him to the ER for a pain in his sternum...and that he was feeling a tightness in his chest. You might imagine that that information stressed me out... 'cause Sarah was still in the hospital and my brain was still overflowing with STUFF. You would imagine correctly.  He was in ER. Celeste, Anthony, Sarah and Hannah were in Sarah's hospital room. And, I was going back and forth while we waited for the news. Turns out, the doc thought, from reading the CT scan and the blood work, that the tumor in his liver was/is putting pressure on his diaphragm and causing that tightness. The upcoming radiation treatment will hopefully relieve some of that. So, even though the ER thing was stressful, it turned out not to be as scary as we thought it might be.
  • Yesterday, after Sarah was discharged from the hospital and arrived home, I took Harv to Mt. Baker Pain Clinic for an appointment to see if there is any way that he can have pain relief in his shoulder/neck area. After talking to the doc there, it seems most likely that the pain in his shoulder is not cancer related. The doc is gonna try some very targeted (using x-ray) cortisone shots. We left there with some hope that maybe relief is on the way.
  • Today, I took Harv to UW Medical Center for the mapping for the Y-90 treatment that will take place soon. We left home at 5:45-ish and got to UWMC at about 7:30. I dropped him off and then killed a little time with Raney before her post-op and rehab appt. She's doing well and the doctor was pleased. The physical therapist thought she was doing really well, too. And, though Raney was nervous at first, she ended up really feeling energized and happy at the end of the appointment. Then we killed lots and lots more time until it was time to get Harv at about 4:00.  The mapping for the treatment went well and the actual procedure will most likely be within a week. And, THEN! We got into some traffic on the way home. We found our way to Chick-fil-a for dinner. Got home at about 7:30. (I'm a little bit whooped.)
  • While we were gone, some amazing gutter-cleaning angels cleaned our gutters!!! My brain appreciates not having to wonder when it's gonna happen or who's gonna do it... And, my eyes really appreciate not having "gardens" growing in the gutters anymore. And, my heart appreciates the kindness of friends! 
  • Tomorrow, Sarah will go back to school. I will have a "Carrie Day" -- counseling, haircut, and three luxurious hours at the spa!
  • Thursday Sarah, Hannah and I are gonna go on the Sehome Orchestra Tour! I went a couple of years ago and it was really fun. The orchestra plays at multiple elementary schools and gets to have a reward for all their hard work. This year we're going to Spokane and they get one day to just play at a theme park. 
And, now... I'm goin' to sleep. Thank you for being our friends. Thank you for praying for us. Thank you for letting me "lose it" every now and then. 

Much love to you all.

(I just re-read this post and some other recent posts... It seems as if I've already told you most of this stuff already.  Goodness! Sorry for repeating myself. -- SMH, man! SMH!  :-)  )

No comments: