Monday, February 9, 2015

Tomorrow


Tomorrow we go to Seattle to have a consultation with the radiation oncologist.  Here are my hopes for the meeting and after:

  • That we would arrive on time and be seen right away. There have been times in the past at UWMC where we've had to wait a long time. Our appt. isn't until 1:30 and it's supposed to last about an hour... Which will be heading right into traffic time. So.... there's that.
  • That we would clearly understand what's in store and that we can make a plan to start soon.
  • That the kind of radiation that would be done at UWMC would be able to be done in Bellingham. I think I've said it before, but we want to go where there's most likely to be the greatest success with this treatment. I'm hoping that the radiation is pretty straightforward with little room for variation from one place to the next 'cause if he's gonna have to go every day it sure would be nice to only have to drive 15 minutes instead of 1 1/2 or 2 hours. However, if, for some reason, the radiation is kinda tricky and it's best for UWMC docs to do it, then we'll go there.
  • That Harv will not experience severe side effects and that it won't be AWFUL. I've heard that nausea & extreme fatigue can be issues.  Fatigue isn't fun, but nausea is worse. So... we want to stay ahead of that and make this as pleasant an experience as it can possibly be.
Some of you have offered to help with driving if we end up going to Seattle and I really appreciate it. And, while asking for help is kinda hard, I'm probably gonna take you up on it. When we know the schedule, maybe I can post it and those of you who would like to spend a little time with Harv :-) can choose a day that might work for you.  I've been told that the appointments aren't very long -- maybe 15 or 20 minutes (not counting our appt. tomorrow which will be longer.) but we'll know more after that.

We've been pretty fortunate these past few years with the success of Harv's treatment and are hoping this is just the KICK that cancer needs to get the heck outta dodge. 

I'll update you when we know more.

Thank you for loving us. 
Lots of love to you all.

2 comments:

Betsy True said...

Prayers!

Laural Ringler said...

I'm glad you're willing to take people up on helping drive. I was serious in offering!! And as one person told me, accepting help builds community:)