Thursday, February 5, 2015

New Direction-ish

We saw FOUR eagles on our drive home.
I LOVE seeing eagles. I'm pretending that they're good luck.

Early start today and lots of rain and traffic...which meant that we arrived late to our appointment... but everything went pretty smoothly once we got there.

When we saw Dr. Lin it was shortly after the CT so the written report had not been prepared, but he had the pictures and some of the data. CEA is at about 11 -- which means it's creeping up. The tumors in and around the liver appear to be the same size by just lookin' at 'em. They're not dramatically different, but they're obviously not shrinking.

Dr. Lin thinks that the next best step is radiation -- external (not the internal targeted kind that had been talked about before).  He thinks it will help shrink the tumors and that it might also help alleviate what we believe is referred pain in Harv's neck/shoulder area. 

The unfortunate part about this new regimen is that, most likely, it will be Monday through Friday every week for three weeks. So, it could be that Harv will take the Bolt bus again, but we don't know how he's gonna feel doing that. Or, he might end up driving -- but we don't know how tired he'll be. Maaaaaybe I'll end up going with him every day. We'll kind of just have to see.

But we are hoping to get the radiation taken care of soon so that we'll be finished in time for a fun Spring Break trip to Orlando to see Harry Potter and the gang! :-)

So... If you'd like to throw up a prayer or two, here are some thoughts on what you can be praying for:
  • that Harv would get good sleep and feel rested and feel a bit more like himself
  • that the radiation can get started quickly
  • that all the transportation parts of that will work easily
  • that the radiation will work to shrink the tumors and relieve the pain in his neck/shoulder area
  • that I will do and be the right thing for everybody - including me. :-)
I'm sure there are other things to consider and if you think of 'em, feel free to pray for those, too. 

This old lady is kinda whooped -- mostly emotionally, but a little bit physically, too. I think it's part of the package of having a family member who's in pain and not actually sleeping well. And, I'm sure I'll get over it. Perhaps even tomorrow after a good sleep tonight.

Harv is also kinda whooped -- mostly physically, but a little bit emotionally, too. I think THAT's part of the package of not sleeping well, being in pain and having a wife who's kinda grumpy. 

I think all the girls are okay. I think it helps to have lots on the schedule...but they may not mind if you say a prayer or two for them, too. :-)

Love you people... Thanks for walking with us.

P.S. Sarah Elizabeth Chute took this picture a few years ago at Camano Island. It's pretty doggone good, isn't it?!

3 comments:

Sehome Canoe said...

Love you, Harv. Love you Carrie.

Steph said...

It doesn't help to say "I wish I could help.", but I do. You and Harv and the family and friends are being prayed for from very far away... but close in heart ! Keep writing, ok??

Steph said...

It doesn't help to say "I wish I could help.", but I do. You and Harv and the family and friends are being prayed for from very far away... but close in heart ! Keep writing, ok??