Sunday, August 11, 2013

The rest of our week...

It feels like we've been in Seattle FOREVER...and it's only been a little over a week.  We are thankful that we've been able to stay here, but we miss home.

Friday, Harv had his treatment and then we moved out of our 2nd home away from home... It was a lovely place and so generous of our friends to let us stay there.  Later in the day, we went to the Obliteride venue to pick up my packet for the ride.

The festivities that evening included a couple of acts that were great! One, was a guy named Mike Brookshire, a Georgia boy!! He sang some good country songs and he also sang "Dixie." I didn't know that song moved me as much as it did, but I kinda felt like I was in church singin' that song. :-) 

And, then Michael Franti and Spearhead performed. They got the crowd jumpin' and dancin' and havin' fun with beach balls.

Yesterday, I rode my bike for 25 miles (34, if you count the ride to and from the event) to raise money for Fred Hutchinson Research Center... So far, the event has raised over 1.4 million dollars! It was a well-organized ride (there was a 25, 50, 100 and 180-mile ride for people to choose from). A couple of things that impress me: (1) ALL of the money that was raised by riders is going to research!! ALL OF IT! (2) Someone (I can't remember his name) donated $$ for FIVE years of Obliteride so that we can continue to provide "The Hutch" with research $$. For the next five years, all (as in, 100%!!) of the $$ raised by riders will go to research so that they can find a way to obliterate cancer!  Thank you, again, to all of you who gave to this cause. Somehow, someday there will be an end to cancer. An END!!! NADA. ZIP. ZERO. Sounds good, doesn't it?!

When the ride was over and I was back at the hotel, I was WHOOPED. Partially, it was emotional. And, as you might've guessed, it was also physical exhaustion.

Harv and I are kinda ready to be back in Bellingham. We think we've figured out a way for him to make the daily "shot trips" down on his own. We have some investigation to do about public transportation in Seattle, but I think it's gonna work well. 

And, while he's handled the shots well, he has experienced some high blood pressure (which I don't like) and an itchy rash around the injection site. The rash was sort of expected. The blood pressure thing was not. The nurses don't seem too concerned. They're keeping an eye on it and we're waiting to hear back from Dr. Lin about what, if anything, to do about it. But, I'm sayin' a prayer that it gets straightened out.

Today, we're just gonna hang out...and I'm imagining a nap sometime in my future.

Thank you for loving and supporting us. Thank you for being a part of my team to obliterate cancer.

Love you people!

No comments: