Thursday, February 28, 2013


Driving to and from Seattle and sittin' around all day wears me out... Perhaps not more than chemo wears Harvey out, though. :-)

His numbers still look pretty good. Some numbers hadn't gotten back yet so there are some we don't know, but overall he's holding steady.

Dr. Lin always says a few things that just don't register with my non-medical brain, but he did say that the OncoPlex testing results have come back. I'm still trying to find out about the testing. Anyway, they identified some of the mutations of tumor cells in Harv's system. And, they are doing research to try to match chemotherapy to the specific tumor profile(s). One of the mutations they found in Harv's tumors was the NRAS mutation. (I'm 'onna have to find out a bit more). They found others, too. They also found that there were quite a few mutations that were NOT messin' around with Harv.
The sample tested is positive for a mutation in NRAS in which serine is substituted for glycine at position 12 of the NRAS protein.... Mutations in NRAS codon12 are observed in about 1% of the colorectal cancers and are associated with lack of response to therapies that target the EGF receptor (Vaughn 2011, Custodio 2013)
I don't know about you, but that little paragraph kinda makes me hopeful. They know that that particular mutation doesn't respond to certain therapies... So, they will apply other therapies to which the tumors WILL respond -- as in, WE WILL KICK THAT MUTATION'S BUTT!

The immediate goal continues to be to minimize the tumors that are there to get to the point of surgery and/or radiation.

One thing we did find out (which is a little bit of a drag) is that radiation will most likely be a situation of M-F for three weeks. That might be ever-so-slightly inconvenient -- and perhaps not a ton of fun. 

Anyway...the day went as it usually does. Blood work, visit with Dr. Lin, chemo...during which I watch Harv's face lose color and watch him begin to feel less than perfect.  He had a very minimal bout with nausea, but enough that he took some anti-nausea meds. He slept on the way home and he's sleeping now. 

In a few days, he'll probably be back to he has been these past two rounds.

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, help and support.

We love you.

No comments: