Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Not sure where to begin...

Yesterday Harv felt pretty bad all day, cold clammy skin and projectile vomiting included. He tried to eat, but didn't really want to. I had the anti-nausea meds "flowing" on a regular schedule. And still, he never felt any better. I called Dr. Pietro and he said that it's not uncommon for these things to happen, but to keep watching for fever or abdominal pain -- neither of which he had.

In the meantime, Sarah came home from school feeling pretty bad. She took a nap, vomited a few times, went to bed early. She didn't have a fever either.

About 9:45-ish I gave Harv his meds + some anti-nausea and then he said he felt like he just really should go ahead and throw up. He did. Both times yesterday, he threw up A LOT. 

So, I called SCCA and they recommended we go to the ER (AGAIN.) Neither of us wanted to, but I was uncomfortable not going, too. He felt much better after having thrown up and then ate two popiscles.  It was a tough call, but we agreed that if he threw up again that he'd go. I knew I wasn't actually going to go to sleep so I just lay there kind of listening to him breathe. I didn't like the way it sounded. I gently touched his head and he was clammy again!

I said :"We have to go." He reluctantly agreed and I called Laurie who came to just be in the house for the girls. 

He was very, very weak. When we got to the ER, I went to get a wheelchair for him, which he accepted willingly. They whisked him back to a room and about a million people started working on him. They took blood, temp, EKG. Then they took him to get a CT scan and an x-ray. And then the doctor came in to ask a bunch of questions.

Long story, shorter, he was admitted at about 3:00 this morning. His potassium was VERY, VERY low. They gave him liquid potassium to drink and then he's been on potassium IV ever since + a couple of pills everyday.

After leaving him at the hospital early this morning, I got home at 3:30 and crashed. Hannah woke me up at about 6:00... Sarah still didn't feel good so she kept sleeping. I arranged for someone to take Hannah to school, a friend brought me coffee, another friend picked up the dog-child, ANOTHER friend came to clean my house and the dryer repairman showed up.

After he left, Sarah and I took a nap.

When I got to the hospital, the GI doc was in there and he was great. Harvey really liked him a lot. Me, too.
He said that from all that they can tell, it looks like Harv has an ileus... which the doctor said means that the small intestine isn't working. It can be from any number of things... chemo, narcotics, surgery and a few others. He said that it heals itself over time. So, for now, Harv is receiving IV liquids + potassium, but isn't allowed to have anything by mouth. He can swab his mouth if he feels dry.  The doctor thinks it might take 3 - 4 days for it to heal.

I didn't spend much time at the hospital at all, but did go by for a bit. In fact, we even took a short walk -- which has been prescribed. I put him back in the bed and he was resting when I left.

I am very thankful that he went back to the hospital. I told him next time they say "you can go home." and he thinks he can, he should just say "I think I should stay an extra day...just to be sure."

Continued prayers are accepted with much appreciation!!
Love you people!!


P.S. If any of you know where I can find honest-to-goodness Popsicle brand root beer flavored &/or banana flavored Popsicles, that would be GREAT to know. Harv's been craving them. Be a kind of fun treat for when he comes home.

No comments: