Thursday, March 8, 2012

Time to Heal


Almost two weeks ago, Harv and I decided -- in a rather unorthodox way, for us -- to book a trip to Maui, Hawaii. I can't think of a time in our marriage when we've ever booked a trip in that short of a time.

We thought it was a good time to go because most of the time here would be during his "good" week and Celeste could hang with the girls (and my dog-child). And, so, Friday, March 3rd, just a day after Harv's amazingly wonderful CT scan, we boarded a plane in Seattle and headed to "paradise."

Harv still had a few days left of his oral chemo -- Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, but we thought we'd just hang out and watch for whales (which is what I could do ALLL day long.).  There were big plans for lots of relaxing -- sittin' on the beach, drinkin' fun tropical beverages, eatin' fun food.

But it seems that Harv's system, while allowing for "sittin' around" and "lyin' around," still wanted to complicate our lives a little bit. He hasn't felt AWFUL, but he hasn't felt FANTASTIC either.

He can't walk as fast as I want to. He needs to nap and his stomach has been less than cooperative. And, THAT bothers me. It makes me aware of the fact that he's sick. Which makes  me sad.

We are so thankful that he's doing as well as he is. Some people feel so much worse than he has felt. But, he's still not himself. And, every time he's feeling less than stellar, it makes me sad...

Right now, as I type this, the wind is blowin' in a big way on the beach. The weather can't decide whether to be sunny or cloudy. And, while, I would love it if Harv felt better, we've had some very good days. One day, we even went ocean kayaking. Harv's had a couple of snorkeling days - one of which included seeing a sea turtle up close.

We are very thankful that we've been able to be here. We continue to pray for complete healing for Harv.

(Oh and BTW, Dr. Lin is supposed to be on Lifetime on a show called "Balancing Act."  It's a morning show and we don't know the exact date, but sometime in mid-March. If any of you get that channel and are able to DVR it for us, we would appreciate it very much. We're curious about what he has to say.)

4 comments:

Trisha said...

I hope that warm tropical salty air makes him feel better! I think it is so great you went to get some sunshine!! xoxo

Lisa Morse said...

Praying for you guys. Looks like a great place to be together for healing. I am sorry to hear Harvey isn't feeling tip top, and I will keep that in my prayers. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics on FB.

Laurel said...

<3 <3

Jim and Christy Thompson said...

We continue to remember you in our prayers.
Love
Christy and Jim