Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Puppy Prayers

This morning I lost my cool with Raney. She was simply acting like a puppy, but I wanted her to act like an extremely obedient human. I gave her some commands which she did not follow and I found myself making that deep exasperated groan that one makes when there are no adequate words to express frustration.

I realize, now, that what she wanted me to be was a puppy friend... to play and pounce and bite and snatch things from her. She probably would've liked it if I had gotten down on all fours and raised my rump in the air and then POUNCED on her. That didn't occur to me at the time, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done it, but I think it would've been helpful if I had realized it IN THE MOMENT.

Pet ownership is a bit of a challenge for someone who likes to be in control, someone who likes order and predictability.

Puppies, in some ways, are more challenging than children. Afterall, children don't eat tree stumps and ivy and rocks, and try to chew my hands (with teeth that can seriously puncture my skin)... Stores allow you to bring your children inside. Not so much with puppies. Children can be walked in a stroller --- thus providing me with more CONTROL.

As odd as it seemed to me at the time, I said a prayer for her --for us -- this morning...because I want to have a good relationship with her. I want to be the pack leader. I want her to respect that. But, I also want her to enjoy being with me -- and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure I'll be saying more prayers.

3 comments:

Spook said...

You can do it, Alpha Mama!

Carrie said...

It's been a rough day!

aspooner said...

Our GR puppy developed a taste for rocks--specifically the mortar between the rocks in our front walk. So, following a cue from a puppy book, we coated the mortar with Tabasco sauce. She then developed a taste for Tabasco sauce. Yup, it's a challenge!