Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lessons from Nature

Most of the times I've seen Great Blue Herons, they've been sitting still. From what I've seen, they sit there for a loooooong time just hangin' out, with their feet in the water, looking out over the horizon. Every time I've seen them, they look content. They're not in a hurry; they don't appear anxious; they're just hangin'.

Sunday afternoon, I saw this heron. He seemed pretty much the same as all the other herons I had seen. This time, though, I decided to get out of the car and take a few pictures. When I did, I noticed a few things: he seemed thoughtful about even the slightest of movements, he was aware of me and the girls, but he wasn't afraid, and when he finally decided to move, it was very deliberate.

It occurred to me that I could learn a thing or two from that heron:

  • Think about what you're doing.
  • Be aware of what's happening around you, but don't lose focus on your goals.
  • Don't rush into things, but don't hang around forever without taking action.
  • And, don't be afraid to move -- even if it means you don't get exactly what you want right away.

Hmm. Isn't it interesting when nature can teach you a lesson in life?

No comments: