Friday, September 5, 2008

Help...

I have to confess something… I haven’t really prayed in a very long time. Don’t misunderstand. I’ve said quickie prayers. I’ve cried out to God in moments of intense grief or pain. I’ve asked God for wisdom in moments of uncertainty. I’ve bowed my head at church and prayed along with the one who leads. I ask the blessing each night before we eat dinner. And, I try to remember to say "Thank you" for the daily miracles in my life. But the truth is, I haven’t sat down and really focused on having a conversation with God in quite some time.

I’ve never been really good at it anyway. I’m too easily distracted.

However, today as I was walking back from going to school with the girls, it hit me that now, more than ever, they are growing up. In this week of figuring out all the new schedules and guidelines and rules, it’s becoming clear to me that they are entering a new environment – and it’s not just middle school. It’s making me realize that I’m beginning to send them out into a world that is beyond my control.

There are busy roads to cross. There are lockers to manage. There’s bigger homework to tackle. There are bullies out there. There are hidden dangers all over the place.

And, so… it occurred to me that I’m going to need some help. Not just to protect my girls, but to calm my spirit.

If you’re a praying person, would you throw in a prayer for this new era in our lives?
It’s bigger than me.

No comments: